Welcome to Year 2
We are Miss. Fletcher and Miss. Stephens and we are very much looking forward to spending the year with Year 2!
The children have all settled in well and are looking forward to the term ahead.
In our class we are supported by Mrs. Young.
In order to support your child at home with their learning please encourage them to:
- Be responsible readers and read every night
- Bring their book bag every day and write (with support) in their reading record
- Organise their belongings so that they are ready to learn
- Complete all the home learning tasks set
- Learn Year 1/2 statutory spelling lists
- Practise their real and alien words ready for the Phonics test
- Complete their Numbots time
- Practise their lovely leads in their handwriting
- Talk about what they have been learning each day in school
- Practising quick recall of number facts such as doubles and halves, number bonds to 10/20 and counting in 2s, 5s and 10s.
- Find out some facts about our topics below
Autumn Term Learning
This term in English we will be using the books ‘The Train Ride’ and ‘Last Stop on Market Street’ as a focus for our narrative writing. We will also be increasing our range of vocabulary and using it in our poetry. We will be using the Writing Rainbow to secure and build on our basic sentence structure (capital letters, full stops, finger spaces, making sense, using our sounds to spell). We will continue to practise our handwriting and spelling of Year 1 and 2 common exception words. In Reading we will continue to read individually and as a group, developing our Vocabulary, Inference, Prediction, Explaining and Sequencing skills.
In Maths, we will be consolidating our knowledge of Place Value within 100.
In Science, our topics are Habitats and Materials.
In Computing, we will be learning to become computer programmers, giving the computer a code to perform.
In History, we will be learning about the history of transport.
In DT the children will be using their sewing skills to create a textile pouch.
We will be focusing on our topic 'Being me in my world' in PSHE.
In R.E we will be asking 'Is it possible to be kind to everyone all of the time?'
We will also be enjoying our Forest Schools Unit on a Tuesday afternoon. Please send the children in with appropriate clothing and footwear.
PE is on Thursday.
All of the curriculum information can be found on the curriculum page on the website.
If you would like to speak to us about your child’s learning please contact the office and we will be in contact.